The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who have different skills in trade and want to apply for a Canadian permanent residence

All candidates for the Federal Skilled Trades Program should submit their application through the Express Entry immigration selection pool for immigration to Canada. So qualified applicants, first of all, should create a profile in the Express Entry system.

FSTP candidates receive a score under the Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) based on the information provided in their profile. There’s a total of 1,200 points available under the CRS.

Note: Foreign workers that plan to become permanent residents of Quebec, must apply to the government of Quebec for a Quebec Selection Certificate. The province of Quebec manages its own immigration program outside the federal Express Entry under a special agreement with the Government of Canada.

Eligibility Requirements

These following are the eligibility criteria:

Minimum 2 years of full-time paid work experience in a skilled trade in the past 5 years under the following groups of the National Occupation Classification (NOC)

40 different occupations:

  • NOC 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  • NOC 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  • NOC 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
  • NOC 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
  • NOC 632 – chefs and cooks;
  • NOC 633 – butchers and bakers.
Have a full-time job offer for at least one year from a Canadian employer together with Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.
Pass a minimum required language level in English or French
A completed credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school.
Sufficient settlement funds to support yourself, and any dependent family members, unless you obtain a job offer or already have the right to work in Canada;

Evidence of a completed medical check-up;

Applicants must obtain a security clearance.