Information on COVID-19 and Immigration to Canada
 Foreign nationals with Canadian work experience who want to obtain a permanent residence must apply for a Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Since 2015, applications for the Canadian Experience Class are handled through the Express   Entry system. Therefore, all eligible candidates alike for permanent residence should submit their applications in the Express Entry.
 The Canadian Experience Class candidates receive a score under the Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) based on the information provided in their profile. There’s a total of 1,200 points available under the CRS. Eligible applicants receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA).

Canadian Experience Class Requirements


 Candidates must:

  • Have at least one year of full-time skilled work experience in Canada within the last 3 years under the National Occupation Classification (NOC);
  • Pass a minimum required language level in English or French.
  • A completed credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school.
  • Evidence of a completed medical check-up;
  • Applicants must obtain a security clearance. 


What you must know about the Canadian Experience Class


 If you plan to become a permanent resident of Quebec, you must apply to the government of Quebec for a Quebec Selection Certificate. The province of Quebec manages its own immigration program outside the federal Express Entry under a special agreement with the Government of Canada. 

 You should have work experience in Canada in Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skills Level A (professional occupations) or Skill Level B (technical and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). Also, the work experience under the Canadian Experience Class must be paid and full-time (30 hours per week).

 Even international students who have studied full-time (at least 2 years) academic years, may qualify under the Canadian Experience Class.  However, potential candidates must have work experience. But they must receive this work experience, not on a student visa. For example, a Post-graduation work permit is considered valid.

 Just remember that your work experience is acceptable after you graduate. In the same manner, working part-time as a full-time student doesn’t count towards eligible work experience.

 In the overall, candidates with at least one year of work experience in Canada stand out from other applicants. Why? Because Canadian work experience is one of the factors that right away adds to the CRS score. Besides, the requirements for the Canadian Experience Class are quite minimal. For example, there’s no proof of the funds' requirement. Of course, your eligibility doesn’t automatically mean you will get an ITA (Invitation to Apply). Unsuccessful candidates can try another chance by improving their CRS score in the Express Entry system.


Inadmissibility - Canadian Experience Class



 Another important thing you need to consider; there are reasons why you may be denied entry to Canada, such as security, criminal or medical reasons.

 Usually, if you are inadmissible to Canada, you will be prohibited to enter the country. However, with a valid reason to travel to Canada, the government might issue you a temporary residence permit.

 If you have a criminal record, you have options to overcome your inadmissibility.

 Serious crime also assumes driving under the influence, which includes driving under cannabis. This means you won’t be allowed to enter or stay in Canada unless you get a temporary resident permit. Additionally, you’ll have to pay the processing fee for the permit, and it doesn’t guarantee you’ll be admissible to Canada.

 You will receive your permit for the exact period of your stay in Canada. For example, three days to participate in a conference. Upon the expiration date of the permit, you must leave Canada or renew the current one before it expires.