Information on COVID-19 and Immigration to Canada

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)


 The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is a temporary Canada work visa which is meant to provide opportunities for foreigners who want to work in Canada for a short period of time. Under the TFWP people can work in the country for only 6 months, with a possibility to extend their visa.

 Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, the foreign worker can only work for one employer. They must live in the city in Canada, where their job is and must follow Canadian laws.  If the worker wants to apply for a visa extension, he should do that before his visa is expired. Otherwise, he must leave Canada and return to his home country after his visa expires.


Temporary Foreign Worker Program Requirements


 The requirements to become eligible as a temporary foreign worker in Canada are quite lengthy. The Canadian Government wants to make sure that the jobs of their citizens and permanent residents aren’t taken by foreign workers. Therefore, it requires that a Canadian company presents a proof a vacancy couldn’t be filled by a citizen or permanent resident. This document is known as a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), and it is absolutely important for a person who seeks to become a temporary foreign worker.

 Other requirements are:

  • A job from a Canadian employer in Canada;
  • Intention to leave Canada after your work permit expires;
  • You must demonstrate you can support yourself financially and your family in Canada and that you can afford to go back to your home country;
  • A clean criminal record;
  • You must prove that you don’t impose any threat to the national security of Canada;
  • A health certificate stating you are in good health;
  • You must prove that you will not work for an employer that offers striptease, erotic dance, erotic massage, or escort services;


How to Apply for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program


To apply for a TFWP you need the following documents:

  • Your passport, which must be valid for more than 6 months after your planned date of entry into Canada;
  • A photocopy of your passport and all its pages;
  • Two photos as per the Photo Requirements;
  • A valid job offer from your employer;
  • Proof of current immigration status (if your country of residence is different from your country of citizenship);
  • Police record certificates;
  • Your resume or CV;
  • Your education diplomas and certificates;
  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable);
  • Copy of children’s birth certificates (if applicable);
  • If you will be working in Quebec, you need a Certificate d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ);
  • Any other documents that the Consulate of Canada requires;

 After you obtain a job offer and your employer gets an LMIA, you should start applying for a temporary work permit.

 Foreigners with a valid work permit can bring their close family members and dependents with them to Canada. These can be your spouse or common-law partner and minor children. At the time of application, you should include their documents as well for the IRCC to review them all together.


Different Options for Workers in Canada


 Foreigners working in Canada on a valid temporary work permit can consider other options. These are immigration programs to receive Canadian permanent residency.

 You might be eligible for one of the immigration pathways under the Express Entry. For example, the Federal Skilled Worker Program or a Canadian Experience Class, if you have accumulated enough Canadian experience.

 With a good knowledge of French, you can consider the Quebec immigration programs.  In fact, bilingual applicants speaking both English and French have better chances to get permanent residence. The IRCC (Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada) even assigns additional points under the CRS score system to such candidates.

 Apart from federal immigration programs, each province in Canada offers Provincial Nomination Programs for skilled and semi-skilled workers. For example, provinces such as Alberta, British Columbia or Saskatchewan offer a Semi-Skilled Worker Category.