Information on COVID-19 and Immigration to Canada


Canada Working Holiday Visa


 Young people interested to travel around Canada, but have no financial means to do that, have the choice to work while they are traveling. This option gives an opportunity to earn money and use it to travel, and the kind of visa is the Working Holiday Visa.

 The Working Holiday Visa is a Canadian work visa that allows young people (usually students) to work and travel in Canada. They can go to Canada to get a job as young professionals and visit the best places in the country.

 To be eligible for the IEC and for the Working Holiday Canada, your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada to exchange young workers. There is the so-called Recognized Organization (RO) that helps young people with their applications and in getting a job for a fee for IEC Canada.

 If your country is one of those that has the agreement with Canada or you choose an RO, then you can begin the Working Holiday Canada process. With this visa, you will get an Open Work Permit, which allows you to go to Canada and then find a job. The visa is best because it doesn’t require a job offer. You can simply travel around in Canada and work for different employees. 

 The Working Holiday Visa allows you to stay in Canada for one year. During your stay, you can change employers and travel anywhere you want within the country.


How to Get a Working Holiday Visa?



 These are the following steps to apply for a Working Holiday Visa:

Step 1. Open Your International Experience Profile

 The Working Holiday Visa is part of the International Experience Canada (IEC), which also covers the Young Professionals and International Co-op Internship programs. Each program imposes specific requirements. To apply for the WHV, you have to:

  • Open your Government of Canada account using your or bank information on their official website;
  • Take the assessment questionnaire to find out about your eligibility. Answer the questions:
    • Country of residence;
    • Country of citizenship;
    • Country of permanent residence;
    • If you have a job offer;
    • If you are a student;
  • If the system finds you eligible for the IEC, it will take you to the page where you have to fill out the form.
  • Answer all questions in the profile forms.
  • Submit your profile.

 You will have 60 days to submit your profile.

Step 2. Eligibility for a Working Holiday Visa

 Once you complete your profile, you need to choose the pool of candidates for the Working Holiday Visa. Please note that you might select more than one pool. For example, you can enter in both Young Professionals and the Working Holiday Visa.

 Your profile will be active for one year. If that period ends and you don’t receive the invitation to apply, then you must open and submit your profile all over again.

Step 3. Receive an ITA

 If you get selected for an invitation, it will receive a message on your account. You can then accept the invitation or decline it. Upon receiving the invitation, you will have ten days to decide about the invitation. If you decline the invitation, you are allowed to remain in the candidate pool for the next round of invitations. If you are in more than one pool, you will have to decline one invitation to get the other. If you accept the invitation, you will then have 20 days to apply for a work permit.

Step 4. Apply for a Work Permit

 You must start submitting your application for a work permit as soon as possible because you have only 20 days to do that. The system will ask you about the job offer, but you need to select “Non-applicable - Working Holiday”.

 Once you fill out all the forms, the system will generate a list of particular documents that you have to submit. Usually, it contains the following:

 Police Certificates – for all countries where you have lived for more than 6 months since you were 18 years old. If you are unable to get all of them in 20 days, then you must submit proof that you have requested them and be ready to show them to an official at the Canadian Consulate later on. In case of a criminal record, you will be denied a work permit.

 Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume

 Medical Exam – if you are going to work in a job which requires it, then you need to visit a doctor who will issue a certificate of good health. This form is IMM 1017B – Upfront Medical Report, which you must upload in your application. If you are unable to obtain this form in the 20 days, then you can upload a proof that you will be receiving the form.

 Passport and Digital Photo –  Submit a copy of your passport that is valid until the date of your departure from Canada. Follow instructions for submitting a digital photo of yourself.

Other forms you need to submit:

  • IMM 5645 – Family Information;
  • IMM 5707 – Family Information;
  • Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada.

Step 5. Submit the Application

 First, you must pay the application fee. You might need to pay the additional cost for biometrics.

 The Government of Canada will review your application. If they find you eligible, they will let you know of the next steps you must take. The Consulate may summon you for an interview or ask to present more information.

Step 6. Get Ready for Travel

 Once your application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction or Port of Entry Letter to Canada. Keep that letter with you wherever you travel. You can now take necessary preparations, such as booking your flight to Canada and finding accommodation. At the Border Check-Up Control, you need to provide these documents:

  • Your passport;
  • Your letter of Introduction;
  • Proof that you have enough funds for your stay in Canada for the first 3 months (CAD$2500);
  • Proof that you have enough funds for your stay in Canada for the first 3 months (CAD$2500);
  • A return ticket from Canada to your country of residence or enough funds to purchase a ticket;
  • Copies of the supporting documents from your work permit application (See: Step 4).

 The Canadian Consulate will determine the validity period of your visa, but usually, it is for one year. After your work permit expires, you must go back to your home country.


What You Must Know About the Working Holiday Visa


 Canada is not the only country that offers a Working Holiday Visa under the International Experience Class. In fact, it has been in use in many countries since the 1070s. However, in some other countries, it’s a relatively new concept. The idea is based on a reciprocal agreement that exists between the two countries. Canada has agreements with lots of countries, while the USA has only agreements with a few countries.

 A WHV assumes an open work permit. This means you can plan your time and experience how you want. You’re not limited to a specific field and you are welcome to travel around the country for travel and other activities.

 It is easier to find a seasonal job in Canada because most employers know you are here for one year and they are hesitant to hire you for long-term positions. But you can still take a short-term job while looking for more professional ones and simply building a network to achieve your goal.

 Canada sets an age limit 35 (18-35) and you are only eligible for the Working Holiday Visa twice. So you should take advantage of this travel opportunity while you can.

 Depending on which country you are from, Canada might set additional requirements. For example, Lithuanian and Taiwanese applicant must undergo a medical test. On the contrary, this requirement doesn’t apply for applicants from other countries.

 When it comes to the type of work, in general, WHV holders cannot engage in permanent and illegal occupations and professions that require a license and registration. For example, you won’t be able to practice medicine without a proper license.


Other Categories of the International Experience Class


 The Working Holiday Visa is part of an International Experience Canada Program, which also includes the Young Professionals Program and International Co-Op.

Young Professionals

 This is another program to acquire work experience in Canada and prepare the way for the immigration plans. Under the Young Professionals Program, you can find employment in science, law, health, education, commerce, and communication. The main requirement is a job offer from a Canadian employer. Successful candidates receive a temporary working visa valid for one to two years with a possibility to extend it.

International Co-Op Internship

 If you are a post-graduate student from a country which signed an agreement with the Canadian government, then the International Co-Op Internship might be a good match for you. As a student, you can complete an internship in Canada as part of your study program. The eligibility requirements are similar to those for the Working Holiday Visa. However, unlike the working holiday visa, you’ll need to secure a job offer from a Canadian employer.