Citizens of countries with a bilateral Youth Mobility between 18 and 35 years old may qualify for the IEC work permits. However, specific age and eligibility requirements may vary by country.

The IEC program covers three categories:

Working Holiday

Applicants for this program usually receive an open work permit valid for a maximum of two years. Foreign nationals with open work permits can work anywhere in Canada for almost any Canadian employer. 

This category is for applicants who want to be flexible in their search of an employer or even employers in Canada and doesn’t want to be restricted to a particular location. This type of visa doesn’t require a job offer.

Young Professionals

This program allows citizens of participating countries to acquire valuable international experience by working for a Canadian company. Candidates under this category receive an employee-focused work permit if found eligible for the program. 

This category is for applicants who already have a job offer for a paid position that helps them develop their professional skills. One of the conditions requires that an applicant works for the same employer during his stay in Canada. 

To receive a work permit as a young professional, a candidate must present a signed job offer letter or employment agreement with a Canadian employer. The occupation must fall into a National Occupation Code (NOC) Skill Type Level 0, A, or B.  

How to Get a Work Permit?

This program allows citizens of participating countries who are students at a post-secondary institution in their country of citizenship to have an internship opportunity in Canada.  Applicants are supposed to undergo internship in a certain Canadian company, so under this category, eligible applicants receive an employer-specific work permit.

The requirements are pretty much the same as for the Young Professionals Program (they need a job offer and plan on working for the same company during their stay in Canada) with the only exception that they have to be enrolled in a post-secondary institution. In addition, before applying for the International Co-op Internship Program, applicants must arrange co-op placements with Canadian employers. 

The IEC requirements:

a citizen of one of the 34 countries that have a bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangement with Canada;

a valid passport for the duration of their stay in Canada;

 admissible to Canada;
prior to their arrival, have a round-trip ticket or the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket for the end of their authorized stay in Canada;
 not be accompanied by dependants; and
pay appropriate fees.