Each year, more and more immigrants apply for work permits in Canada. This opens great opportunities based on a job offer. However, Canadian employers must comply with certain requirements when hiring foreign workers. For the most part, employers must have a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in order for foreigners to apply for a work permit.

What is LMIA?

The Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) makes possible to hire a foreign employee because there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents available for the required position.

Therefore, Canadian employers must get this document in order to hire foreign workers. They can do so through the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to request information for the application process.

The LMIA can apply to an individual worker or job position and multiple workers for a given occupation.

The Temporary Worker Program

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is what allows employers to hire foreign workers with the purpose of obtaining permanent residence (PR) in Canada. These workers if hired can acquire the status of temporary workers. After their employers receive a Labor Market Impact Assessment document, they can apply for the foreign worker program to receive their work permit.

And once you spend at least one year in Canada on LMIA based visa, you can apply for a permanent residency under certain immigration programs. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is the stream leading to PR. The CEC has been created for foreign temporary residents with Canadian work experience.

How to Get a Work Permit?

It’s important to keep in mind that that with this type of visa you cannot stay in Canada permanently. Those seeking to make Canada their home must apply through one of the immigration programs.

Worker permit candidates must meet a number of requirements. Usually, you must apply for a work permit outside of Canada, though, in some cases, workers are allowed to apply after they enter the country.

Spouses and common-law partners of foreign workers can get their own open work permits as long as their spouse or partner is working in a skilled occupation. A spousal open work permit will allow them to work in a position they can find in the Canadian labor market.

You can apply for a work permit online or through the mail.

Along with the LMIA, you’ll need to prove you have:

Relevant work experience;

Education history;

Electronic Travel Authorization (if you are from a visa exempt country) or visa, which are typically issued alongside your work permit.