A lot of young people from different parts of the world come to Canada to receive education, because of the opportunities and advantages that they can benefit from. We can list here some of them.

First of all, a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate is globally recognized. Secondly, it is a multicultural society. As a newcomer, you will definitely not feel alone and will easily get in touch with the ethnic club you associate yourself with. Among other things, it is worth to note Canada’s safe communities. The United Nations keeps ranking Canada as one of the best places in the world to live.

As a student, you can be part of innovative projects, because research is the heart of post-secondary education in Canada. Your theoretical knowledge will be put into practice, so you can learn how to express yourself, gain confidence and reveal your creativity.  Along with the excellent academic environment, Canada’s universities offer very exciting campus life. Indeed, with sophisticated technology, and other up-to-date facilities, you can fully enjoy your student life.

International students with a valid study permit enrolled in the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) are allowed to work 20 hours per week without a work permit during academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks and holidays. Working while studying is a good way to accumulate Canadian experience, make important connections. Foreign students can work on campus as well as off campus.                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Working on-campus is an excellent opportunity to earn money for living and other needs. If you are a full-time student with a valid study permit, then you can work for companies or for the university located on campus.

Working off-campus will require both, valid study and work permits. You are allowed to work at any occupation during breaks or holidays. Not all institutions in Canada participate in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, so you need to check with your institution on the eligibility of the programs you choose. The same is with internship programs, make sure your college or university has apprenticeship placements. You are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week on campus and internship shouldn’t take more than 50% of your study time. Upon your admission to the training as an intern, the institution will give you a letter to prove the work experience is important to your study program and, a copy of the school syllabus.

If you have a spouse who has a work permit, he or she can work in any field. Their work permit will be valid for the period of your study permit.


To work in Canada, you’ll need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Normally, your study permit will state whether you need a SIN. If not, you can ask an immigration officer when you arrive in Canada or your university administration.  

Keep in mind, you are not allowed to work if your study program is less than six months and you are a language course student. Similarly, exchange students are not permitted to work while studying in Canada. And you can only start working when you start your study program.