Information on COVID-19 and Immigration to Canada

Study in Canada Overview


 A lot of young people from different parts of the world choose to study in Canada, because of the opportunities and advantages that they can benefit from. We can list here some of them.

 First of all, a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate is globally recognized. Secondly, it is a multicultural society. As a newcomer, you will definitely not feel alone and will easily get in touch with the ethnic club you associate yourself with. Among other things, it is worthy to note Canada’s safe communities. The United Nations keeps ranking Canada as one of the best places in the world to live.

 As a student, you can be part of innovative projects, because research is the heart of post-secondary education in Canada. Your theoretical knowledge will be put into practice, so you can learn how to express yourself, gain confidence and reveal your creativity.  Along with the excellent academic environment, Canada’s universities offer very exciting campus life. Indeed, with sophisticated technology, and other up-to-date facilities, you can fully enjoy your student life.

 If you are thinking of working abroad, then studying in Canada can open many doors. These opportunities will help you build the necessary network. As a graduate of a Canadian university, you will stand better chances to find rewarding employment. As the second-largest country in the world, you will find that there are plenty of opportunities for you to consider.


Study in Canada: Programs for International Students


 Canadian universities and colleges offer a variety of programs – from finance to zoology. So when choosing the right study program, you need to consider many factors. But the good thing about studying in Canada is that you will have enough time to choose the program that best fits you.

 You won’t find a unified program structure for all educational institutions in Canada. It depends on the university or college you will choose. Students learn courses in subjects that interest them. Each course has a certain number of credits, which a student accumulates for his major and minor programs. In general, program requirements allow flexibility. Along with mandatory, you can choose many alternative courses to accumulate credits required to graduate. You’ll need to contact the admissions department directly to get the information about the application process and the study program of your desired institution.

 As a prospective international student, you’ll also have to check that the university or college where you intend to study is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). It means that your university or college should have official permission from a provincial or territorial government to accept international students.


Study in Canada: Universities and Colleges


 The high-ranked universities in Canada offer both academic excellence and student life. You can prefer a top university or college with a prestigious program, but the decisive point should be the program that fits your career goals.

 If you want to enjoy great lectures and you strive for independent research, then probably an academic-focused university would be the right choice. You can find rewarding programs in many Canadian universities that will provide you with the knowledge and skills to use in Canada or abroad. Whether you choose Literature or Science, you will be allowed to take elective courses.

 On the other hand, college might be a good fit if you are seeking to acquire experience as you study. For example, you can consider an industry-focused training with work placement opportunities. In addition, college tuition fees are more affordable than university fees. Unlike universities, it takes one or two years to complete a study program in college. Therefore, if you want to integrate into Canada quickly, take into account a college study program.


Work and Study in Canada


 International students with a valid study permit enrolled in the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) are allowed to work 20 hours per week without a work permit during academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks and holidays. Working while studying is a good way to accumulate Canadian experience, make important connections. Foreign students can work on campus as well as off-campus.


Working On-Campus

 Working on-campus is an excellent opportunity to earn money for living and other needs. Full-time students with a valid study permit can work for companies or for the university located on campus.


Working off-campus

 Working off-campus will require both, valid study and work permits. You are allowed to work at any occupation during breaks or holidays. Not all institutions in Canada participate in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, so you need to check with your institution on the eligibility of the programs you choose. The same is with internship programs, make sure your college or university has apprenticeship placements. You are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week on campus and internship shouldn’t take more than 50% of your study time. Upon your admission to the training as an intern, the institution will give you a letter to prove the work experience is important to your study program and, a copy of the school syllabus.

 If you have a spouse who has a work permit, he or she can work in any field. Their work permit will be valid for the period of your study permit.

 To work in Canada, you’ll need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Normally, your study permit will state whether you need a SIN. If not, you can ask an immigration officer when you arrive in Canada or your university administration.

 Keep in mind, you are not allowed to work if your study program is less than six months and you are a language course student. Similarly, exchange students are not permitted to work while studying in Canada. And you can only start working when you start your study program.


Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)


 International students after graduation can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. With a PGWP you can stay in Canada as a skilled worker and work full-time up to three years after your graduation. To apply for a Post-Graduation Work permit you don’t need a job offer.

 A PGWP is a wonderful opportunity to gain Canadian work experience, which you might need to be eligible for permanent residence.


Have a business plan


 A Post-Graduation Work Permit isn’t the only program that can pave a way to a Canadian permanent residence. The federal immigration programs under the Express Entry system include the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class. In addition, each province of Canada has its own Provincial Nominee Program.

 Canada is looking for talented international graduates who can become part of the Canadian family. And with Canadian education and experience, you have all the chances to achieve your Canadian dream.


Study in Canada: What You Need To Know


 You made up your mind to study in Canada, but there are a few things you need to take into account. Let’s say you learned French in school as a second language, do you know that you can improve it in your institution? Even without this, you can learn a new language as many Canadian universities offer French language classes for their students.

 There are many study programs to choose from. However, you should consider the learning environment and living conditions that suit you. Also, think about the cost of living and policies of the institution you decide to enroll in.

 Consider the location of your university as well because your student experience will depend pretty much on where you choose to study in Canada.

 Colleges and universities in Canada offer student services. As a matter of fact, they provide accommodation and financial support. See, if your university has healthcare and career services. You have to prepare well before you land in Canada as an international student. Try to search on the university as much as you can. Thus, you will ensure the best student experience you can get in Canada.