The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is a temporary Canada work visa which is meant to provide opportunities for foreigners who want to work in Canada for a short period of time. Under the TFWP people can work in the country for only 6 months, with a possibility to extend their visa.

During this time, the foreign worker can only work for one employer and they get a work permit and visa. They must live in the city in Canada, where their job is and must follow Canadian laws.  If the worker wants to apply for a visa extension, he should do that before his visa is expired. Otherwise, he must leave Canada and return to home country after his visa expires.

TFWP requirements

The requirements to become eligible as a temporary foreign worker in Canada are quite lengthy. The Canadian Government wants to make sure that the jobs of their citizens and permanent residents aren’t taken by foreign workers. Therefore, it requires that a Canadian company presents a proof a vacancy couldn’t be filled by a citizen or permanent resident. This document is known as a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), and it is absolutely important for a person who seeks to become a temporary foreign worker.

Other requirements are:

  • You must have a job from a Canadian employer in Canada;
  • You must demonstrate your intention to leave Canada after your work permit expires;
  • You must demonstrate you can support yourself financially and your family in Canada and that you can afford to go back to your home country;
  • You must have a clean criminal record;
  • You must prove that you don’t impose any threat to the national security of Canada;
  • You must present a health certificate stating you are in good health;
  • You must prove that you will not work for an employer that offers striptease, erotic dance, erotic massage, or escort services.

To apply for a TFWP you need the following documents:

  • Your passport, which must be valid for more than 6 months after your planned date of entry into Canada;
  • A photocopy of your passport and all its pages;
  • Two photos as per the Photo Requirements;
  • A valid job offer from your employer;
  • Proof of current immigration status (if your country of residence is different from your country of citizenship);
  • Police record certificates;
  • Your resume or CV;
  • Your education diplomas and certificates;
  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable);
  • Copy of children’s birth certificates (if applicable);
  • If you will be working in Quebec, you need a Certificate d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ);
  • Any other documents that the Consulate of Canada requires.

After you obtain a job offer and your employer gets an LMIA, you should start applying for a temporary work permit.

Foreigners with a valid work permit can bring their close family members and dependents with them to Canada. These can be your spouse or common-law partner and minor children. At the time of application, you should include their documents as well for the IRCC to review them all together.