Life in Canada
Life in Canada
The abbreviation eTA stands for an Electronic Travel Authorization. It’s an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals who travel to Canada by air and has the exact same validity as a Canadian visa from the time before the new regulation had been introduced.
Getting eTA is a simple and inexpensive online process, which only takes about 15 minutes to fill in the form for eTA Canada and pay the handling charge. After that, you wait for about two hours to receive your Canada visa. The average time to receive a Canada visa is 72 hours.
The process is safe. You will enter basic personal information like your name, passport number, email and answers to several simple questions.
An eTA is linked to a traveler’s passport electronically.
It’s valid for up to five years, from the day on which it is issued to the applicant or until the earliest of the following days, if they occur before the end of that period:
• The day on which the applicant’s passport or other travel document expires, or
• The day on which the electronic travel authorization is canceled, or
• The day on which a new electronic travel authorization is issued to the applicant
With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as frequently as you want (usually for up to six months at a time).
You don’t need an eTA for travel inside Canada.
An eTA doesn’t ensure an entry to Canada. When you arrive, an officer of border services will ask you to see your passport and other documents, in order to be sure that you are eligible for entry into Canada.
The visa office reserves the right to request the following documents before entry into Canada:
• A medical examination
• A criminal record check
• An interview
The Immigration office does not consider certain documents to be valid, including:
• Passports issued by Somalia
• Passports issued by the Czech Republic, as they are not viewable by the machine
• Temporary passports supplied by South Africa
• Temporary passports supplied by Venezuela
Official documents will be returned together after all checks have been finished. In addition, the visa office will also retain any fraudulent documents submitted.
There are four types of traveler who need eTA.
1. Travelers who need an eTA
• Foreign nationals, who are visa-exempt, need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. These travelers don’t need ETA when arriving by car, bus, boat, train or cruise ship.
• Lawful permanent residents of the U.S need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.
2. Travelers who may be eligible to apply for an eTA
• Citizens from select visa-required countries may be eligible to apply for an eTA, instead of a visa, to travel to Canada by air. But these travelers need a visitor visa when arriving by train, bus, boat, car, a cruise ship.
3. Travelers who are not eligible to apply for an eTA
• Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens (People in this category have to make sure to travel with a valid Canadian passport)
• Canadian permanent residents
• U.S citizens (Meaning that your passport is issued by the U.S.A) for the reasons of a visitor/tourist travel do not need an eTA.
Unlike old VISA application system, Travel Authorization Application must be done online. Each travel should have an official eTA. According to the new requirement, children are also concerned. It is possible to make a single eTA application per person. For instance, if you want to fill an application of a family of three people, it is necessary to make three eTA applications.
To complete the form, you will need your passport, a credit or debit card and an email address.
It's worth to mention that some requests take several days to process if you’re asked to submit supporting documents, so it’s better to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.
eTA application form is available online. As it is said above it takes about 15 minutes to fill it. You have to fill the following details in order to complete the application form:
• The country that issued the passport
• The nationality indicated on the passport
• The passport number
• The surname and forenames as they are indicated in your passport
• The birth date
• The Country
• The city of birth
• Dates of issue and expiry of the passport
Marital status, client unique identifier and employment information, including domain, position, employer’s name, city and date of hire also have to be filled.
You also have to write your contact and other travel information too. After completing this information, you have to wait for approval.
You can check the status of your eTA request by clicking on the tool reserved for this aim. You have to use your application number and details of your passport.
You will be alerted by email when your eTA application has been accepted.
In case of refusal, you will receive a breakdown of the reason for refusal.