• Life in Canada

  • Study Permit

  • Study Permit

    There are currently over 300,000 international students in Canada and this figure is constantly growing. In order to study in Canada at any level, a foreign national is usually required to apply for and receive a Canadian study permit. However, there are circumstances in which a foreign student is exempt from this requirement.

    Obtaining a Study Permit

    In order to apply for a Study Permit, you must first be accepted at a recognized school, university or college in Canada.

    To be able to study in Canada you must also:

    • Show that you have sufficient funds to pay for:
    • your tuition fees
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come to Canada with you
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come to Canada with you
    • Prove that you have no criminal record and do not pose a risk to the security of Canada. You may be required to provide a police certificate.
    • Be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination if necessary
    • Satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

    Foreign nationals who stay in Canada without the study permit and wish to enroll on an educational program must apply for a study permit from outside of Canada. An exception may be made if the course is short-term in its nature and can be completed within the original period of stay specified upon their entry to Canada.

    After Arrival

    Once you arrive in Canada, you must maintain your study permit, meaning that you may need to renew or change your study permit during the course of your studies in Canada. Depending on your program, you may be eligible to work while studying in Canada.

    After Graduation

    Many students choose to stay in Canada to live and work having after completing their studies. Some graduates are eligible to obtain post-graduation work permits to facilitate their stay in Canada after completing their studies. Study in Canada without a Study Permit

    Short-Term Studies

    You will not need to obtain a Study Permit if the duration of a course or program that you wish to pursue lasts six months or less. Such courses may consist of any subject(s) and may be taken on a part-time or full-time basis. Individuals must complete a course or program within 6 months. A visa extension will not be granted for a sole purpose of completing a short-term course/program.

    Minor Children

    Any minor child residing in Canada may study at a pre-school, primary and secondary level without a study permit. This does not apply to children of temporary residents who are not authorized to work or study in Canada (i.e. visitors)

    Family Members and Private Staff of Foreign Representatives to Canada

    Family members or private staff of foreign diplomats and foreign representatives accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, do not need a permit to study in Canada. For purposes of this exception, a family member must be defined as:

    • A spouse or common-law partner.
    • A dependent child of the individual or their spouse/common-law partner.
    • The dependent child of a dependent child.


    Members of Foreign Armed Forces in Canada
    Members of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state under the Visiting Forces Act do not require a permit to study in Canada.

    The visiting Forces Act lists the following countries as designated states:

    Albania Hungary Oman
    Antigua and Barbuda Iceland Poland
    Australia Italy Portugal
    Azerbaijan Ivory Coast Romania
    Bangladesh Jamaica Sierra Leone
    Barbados Japan Singapore
    Belgium Kazakhstan Slovak Republic
    Brunei Kenya Slovenia
    Bulgaria Korea Spain
    Cameroon Kuwait Sudan
    Croatia Latvia Sweden
    Czech Republic Lithuania Swaziland
    Denmark Luxembourg Tanzania
    El Salvador Malawi Trinidad and Tobago
    Estonia Malaysia Uganda
    Ethiopia Moldova Ukraine
    Finland Nepal United Arab Emirates
    France New Zealand United States
    Georgia Nicaragua Uzbekistan
    Ghana Niger Venezuela
    Greece Nigeria Zambia
    Guyana Norway Zimbabwe

    Students in Canada can work off-campus, renew or change their Study Permit, if required, bring their spouse or common-law partner to Canada with an Open Work Permit, and have friends and family visit Canada.

    error: Content is protected !!